End date: 23 April 2021
OpenXR is a funding call for SMEs in the Yorkshire and Humber region to deliver research and development (R&D) projects that focus on prototype immersive and interactive story experiences or storytelling tools and platforms. Applicants can bid for up to £30,000, as well as access funded internships to support with projects.
Applicants are invited to explore innovation in screen-based storytelling through technologies under the ‘XR’ umbrella. This could include:
- Virtual reality
- Augmented reality
- Mixed reality
- Interactive productions
- Motion and volumetric capture technologies
Funding will be awarded to SMEs in the Yorkshire and Humber region whose proposed projects have a clear prototype output, strongly evidenced market opportunities and have project teams who are passionate about bringing relevant academic research to their R&D activities. Applications also need to meet the following objectives:
1. To enable new, innovative and commercial immersive and interactive story experiences
We want to see:
- A strong argument and evidence that the innovation proposed is new to the creative industries.
- Evidence that there is a market for innovation and a clear route to market.
2. To encourage convergence
We are interested in the convergence of genres implied by immersive and interactive technologies. We want to encourage new cross-industry collaborations, for example:
- Performing arts and video games
- TV production and location-based experiences
- Music videos and interactivity.
All proposals must include the following outputs:
- An advanced prototype story experience or story-telling tool or platform
- Evidence of the R&D process followed, including user testing and feedback (an R&D diary would be ideal)
- An end of project report
- A showcase video for each project that is aligned with your commercial and investment approach which is suitable to be shared with XR Stories’ funders.
To find out more, please complete the OpenXR sign up form. Once you have submitted your details, we will share a guidance document with you which will provide further information about the funding call.
Applications close on Friday 23rd April at 11:59pm.
For more information, please email [email protected]