Green Screens: Environmental Sustainability and XR Storytelling
York Guildhall, St Martins Courtyard, Coney St, York YO1 9QL
Green Screens: Environmental Sustainability and XR Storytelling is a showcase of three XR Stories-funded research and development (R&D) projects in the Guildhall, York, on 27 January, 2023. Academics and researchers will also present their work around the theme of environmental sustainability.
The three R&D projects on display, are:
- SAIL and Megaverse with their project Home Planet which blends eXtended Reality (XR) and creative storytelling, backed by evidence-led research to create an interactive VR experience that explores the potential impacts of flooding in Hull.
- Live Cinema’s project In Here, Out There is an interactive 360° full-dome experience using the flow of breath, light and sound to dissolve the boundaries between the body and the surrounding audio-visual ecology.
- Field Studio’s The Gyre is a non-linear immersive narrative experience. It explores our digital consumption using the metaphorical device of gyres, a phenomenon where marine pollution blends into a swirling ‘garbage vortex’ in the oceans.
The event will showcase research about the creative industries and environmental sustainability. Researchers will highlight the need to think carefully about the impact of creative products on the environment and how we communicate the effects of their creation. There will be a chance to gain insight from the following researchers and their projects:
- Dr Jon Swords and Dr Nina Willment (XR Stories) ‘Environmental Sustainability and Virtual Production – Exploring the challenges and opportunities of this emerging technology’.
- Alexandra Dales (York St John) and Rory Padfield (University of Leeds) ‘Sustainability Stories – Investigating the UK creative industry and the communication of sustainability’.
- Catherine Graves (BAFTA-albert/SIGN) ‘What effect do climate communication techniques and strategies in TV and film have on pro-environmental behaviour?’
The conference will maximise knowledge gathering for attendees around the theme of climate change and environmental sustainability.
For any enquiries, please contact [email protected]